Added sugars (like sucrose and high fructose corn syrup) contain a lot of calories with no essential nutrients; no proteins, essential fats, vitamins or minerals. But empty calories are just the tip of the iceberg.
- Excess fructose gets turned into fat, which can lodge in the liver and cause non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, especially common in western countries since we consume a lot of soft drinks for example. It also causes tooth decay by feeding the harmful bacteria in the mouth.
- When people eat a lot of sugar, it can cause resistance to the hormone insulin, which can contribute to diseases like diabetes and metabolic syndrome.
- Fructose doesn’t cause satiety in the brain or lower the hunger hormone ghrelin nearly as much as glucose. Due to its effects on hormones and the brain, sugar has unique fat-promoting effects. It dramatically increases the risk of becoming overweight or obese (source).
- It ain’t the fat, it’s sugar that raises your cholesterol and gives you heart disease (source). Saturated fat is actually not bad, read here and here.
- Because sugar gives a large release of dopamine in the brain, it can be addictive (source).
So what should we do now? The white sugar you have left at home, make homemade body scrub with it. For sweetening in cooking, use natural sweeteners like honey, more alternatives, read here.
På svenska om vrf du ska undvika raffinerad socker här.